- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup finely shredded carrots (about 2-3 medium carrots)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt.
- Make a small well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the butter, honey, egg, vanilla, and applesauce.
- Stir ingredients together until just combined and there are still some spots of flour remaining.
- Fold in the shredded carrots just until combined (don’t overmix or the muffins will be dense).
- Distribute the batter evenly among the muffin liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. These muffins freeze wonderfully and keep well if covered at room temperature for 2-3 days.
If you find the muffins stick to your liners, that may be because of the brand of liners you use – mine did not stick, especially after they cooled, however, you can help the sticking issue by lightly coating the inside of the muffin liners with cooking spray before filling with batter.